Though there are lots of things you can do to make sure you aren’t buying a lemon, here are just a few things that you should check before deciding to purchase from a used car dealer in Anchorage.
The first thing you should do when looking to buy a used car is to test drive the car. Though you may be tempted to just take it on the streets near the dealership, you’ll want to also drive it on the highway to see how it performs under higher speeds. You can tell a lot about a car from the way it drives, so this is an easy way to see whether or not the car will be a good investment. When you are driving, be sure to keep your eyes and ears open. If you hear something strange, you may want to try another car. Be sure to also test the brakes to make sure they function properly.
The next thing that you’ll want to check on is what the car looks like on the inside and outside. Here are just a few things that you’ll want to take a look at in the interior and on the exterior.
For the interior, here are some indicators of whether the car is as old as the salesman says:
- Seats: The seats are a big indicator of whether or not the car is as old and used as the date and dealership says it is.
- Pedals: Another indicator of whether or not the car is as old as the mileage and date indicates is whether or not the pedals are worn down. If they are worn down, this could indicate an older car.
- Air Conditioning and Heating: Another thing to check is whether or not the air conditioning and heating functions and how fast both will heat up or cool down once you start the car. This is extremely important for any car you purchase and will easily indicate whether or not the car functions as promised.
- Trunk: Lastly, you’ll want to look through the trunk to make sure that there isn’t anything strange. If a car has been rear-ended and the exterior has been poorly repaired, you should be able to tell by how the interior of the trunk looks. Check to make sure that everything looks good and well taken care of.
- Here are some things you’ll want to look out for on the exterior of the car:
- Body Condition: One of the most important things to look for in the car is the body condition. You’ll want to look to make sure that there aren’t any indicators of an accident that hasn’t been reported by the salesman. Also, if there was an accident, that’s not an automatic no for the car. If it’s been fixed well, and your mechanic should be able to tell you whether or not that’s the case, then you should feel okay with purchasing the car.
- Glass (specifically front window): You’ll want to make sure that there aren’t any obvious cracks or chips. If there are, be sure to work a deal where they either replace the window or fix the window before you purchase.
- Tires: For the tires, you’ll want to look over them to make sure they aren’t worn down. This will also indicate whether or not the suspension is in good condition. If you want to check on both the tires and the suspension, bounce on one end of the car. If the car keeps on bouncing, the suspension is in poor condition and you’ll want to check on another car.
Vehicle History Report
Lastly, you’ll want to look at the history report of the vehicle to make sure that there isn’t anything alarming on the report. Read over it carefully and compare it to another vehicle with a similar year, make, and model.
Be sure to choose a used car dealer in Anchorage that you trust and that people you trust have also used.